Immigration Law Experts In Leeds
Fiancé Visa Applications
If you are engaged to someone who is British or has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, then you may be able to apply to join them here as their fiancé(e) or their proposed civil partner. You cannot apply for this type of visa from inside the UK.
You will have to show that you meet the following requirements:
- You are both aged 18 or over at the date of the application
- You have met in person
- Your relationship is genuine and you that it is the intention of both of you to live together permanently
- Any previous relationship that either of you has had has is not still active
- There will be the required accommodation for you and for anyone else who lives with you without relying on public funds, both prior and proceeding the marriage or the civil partnership
- You can speak and you can understand English to the required Standard
- That you meet the UK Border Agency’s financial requirements
A fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner visa will be issued for a six month period. In this time period you cannot work in the UK. Once you are married you will be able to apply to change into the spouse or civil partner visa category. When this happens you need to meet the requirements set out above in relation to spouses and civil partners.
Marriage Visa Financial requirements
You will need to demonstrate that your spouse or partner in the UK has a gross annual income of £18,600 or more. If you are bringing a child with you (who is not British, an EEA national or otherwise settled in the UK), your spouse or partner’s gross annual income will have to be £22,400. For each additional child, add £2,400 to this total to see how much income your spouse or partner will need to have.
The UK Spouse/Marriage visa category enables a husband, wife or civil partner of a British National or a person who is settled in the UK to apply for leave to enter, or leave to remain in the country.
The spouse/civil partner must apply for entry clearance before travelling to the UK. Entry clearance visas are issued for an initial 33 month period and they can be extended for a further period of thirty months. Children of the marriage/partnership who are under 18 years of age are granted entry to the UK as dependents in line with the main applicant.
After lawfully remaining in the UK for four years and 11 months under the spouse/marriage visa category, the spouse/civil partner of a British citizen will be eligible to apply for settlement (ILR) in the UK.